I did one of these last year and thought it was pretty neat...a nice way to catch up with people. So I was already planning on getting the 2004 version out today, but it looks like Tim beat me to the punch.
1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Lost 34 pounds.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Mostly. I haven't reached my ideal weight yet, but I did lose 34 pounds, which is quite a feat. In 2005, I will continue to work on that and also to kick my pack rat tendencies.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, although I only saw her once this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
no countries this year, but I took my yearly drive to Texas for the 4th of July and I've been all over California. I don't think I even made it to Vegas in 2004 unless you count waking up there the morning of the 1st (I went there for 2003-4 New Year's)
6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
2004 was pretty darn good, I don't feel anything was lacking. In 2005 I just want things to continue going in that direction.
7. What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 21st, September 29th, and October 4th -- dates SpaceShipOne flew to space
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
completely changing my eating and exercising habits, thus losing 34 pounds and passing the CGAP and CIA exams!
9. What was your biggest failure?
2004 was a really good year, I don't really feel like I failed at anything
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
well, I have a wrist issue that the doctors have diagnosed as "nonspecific pain" rather than carpal tunnel syndrome
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmmm....Dreamweaver? I'm sure there must be something else, but it's alluding me at the moment.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Because I accomplished so much this year and succeeded at making true lifestyle changes, I'd have to say my own. Also, Erik for the changes he is about to make.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
No one important to me.
14. Where did most of your money go?
paying off debt
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Mike...especially the incredibly sweet Christmas card he gave me
16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
Can't think of anything.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? thinner (by 34 pounds!!)
iii. richer or poorer? technically richer, although how much debt I'm in finally caught up to me so a lot of my money has been put toward that, thus decreasing my spendable income. However, my last check of 2004 did have a nice raise on it, so I'm going to allow for a little more spendable income, but the majority of the raise will go toward continuing to pay off debt.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
unpacking (can you believe I've lived here a year and a half and I'm *still* not completely unpacked?!) and traveling (because you can never have too much travel in your life!)
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
procrastinating (maybe I'd be done unpacking by now)
20. How did you spend your holiday?
Christmas: with my mom, step-dad, brother, and brother's fiance at my mom's place
New Years: with my brother, his fiance, and a couple friends. We went out for Japanese food, watched Meet the Parents at the friends' house, and then off to the theater for Meet the Fockers.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
22. Did you fall in love in 2004?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Gilmore Girls, and Smallville (I turned off my cable this year to save money, but I've been getting the first 3 shows listed from Netflix)
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
nope, can't say that I hate anyone at all
26. What was the best book you read?
what did I read this year? Maybe Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
sadly, I didn't discover anyone new this year. I haven't really been that much into music lately...mostly just turning on the radio
28. What did you want and get?
are we talking for Christmas or for the year in general?
For Christmas...a racquetball racquet (Thanks Marc!), Talisman (Thanks Erik!), and my mom is working on getting me some stuff from my wish list due to some complications with her original present.
For the year in general...Mike - he's everything I've ever wanted in a relationship
29. What did you want and not get?
Christmas...I was pretty happy with my gifts.
Year...my ideal weight, but I'm working on it.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn't watch a lot of movies this year, but I did really enjoy Mona Lisa Smile and I, Robot
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Mike took me to the Nutcracker two days before my birthday, the 3D IMAX version of Polar Express the day before my birthday, and we had dim sum for lunch and an elegant dinner at Cafe Rustica on my birthday. I turned 27.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I guess having finished unpacking much, much sooner
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
much cuter now that I'm able to fit into smaller clothes!!
34. What kept you sane?
Mike...he's so mellow that it rubs off on me.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Johnny Depp again I suppose
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
my dad (always)...and Mike when we're apart for too long (like right now)
38. Who was the best new person you met?
A lot of Mike's friends and family...Oliver, Bruce & Gay, his aunt Jazz
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
Eating and exercise habits are very important...and they can be changed!
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Again, I didn't really listen to much music this year, so I can't think of any.